Welcome to a new semi-regular round-up of items deemed worthy of your attention.
The internet is a wide and varied creature, with great writing often falling by the wayside, especially if it doesn’t fit the agenda being discussed at a particular moment in time. Here are a couple of interesting pieces we’ve noted over the last few days.
- Richard Brody on Spectacle.
- Brody again, this time on Jean Renoir’s time in America.
- The Dissolve, on the tradition of films being adapted for television.
- Philip French on Violent Saturday.
- Julien Allen’s 100 great figures of French cinema (a list).
- IndieWire are running some exclusive English translations of Cahiers du cinéma reviews, to mark the magazine’s 700th issue. There are more to come too.
- There’s a new interview with James Gray over at Film Comment.
- This week’s Criticwire Survey.